Monday, July 16, 2012

Why we do this. Part 1

UPDATE: I have sent out pattern codes to everyone who has donated so far. If you have not received yours (especially if you have an AOL or Hotmail email account), please check your spam folder. If you have not received an email from me, please send me a note at lynnazimmermanATmacDOTcom or on Ravelry. My username is LynnZimm. 

In less than two weeks, we have raised more than $3,000 for Make-A-Wish of Colorado. I think we're well on our way to meeting our goal of $10,000 by Aug. 24.

This afternoon, I had the pleasure of visiting the Make-A-Wish office to meet the staff and tour the offices. I was given the honor of signing their Wall of Fame (and like a bad blogger, I forgot to take a photo) - I signed the wall on behalf of Team Cupcake Mafia, which includes everyone who has donated to this fundraising effort this year or in the past. Thank you for making this possible!

Make-A-Wish is such an incredible organization. Their office is set up to make the kids and their families feel comfortable when they're finalizing the details of the wish. They had a room for the families that was decorated every season - it was decorated with a Candyland theme today - and that room included a throne. When the child's wish is granted, he or she sits in the throne. The throne is even adjustable so a wheelchair can fit in the throne, if necessary. I could tell that this is a special place.

The Colorado chapter grants an average of 240 wishes a year and they work hard to make the kids' dreams come true. The kids get trips to DisneyWorld where they are treated like princes and princesses, they meet movie stars and get the red carpet experience, they meet their sports heroes, they get shopping sprees, they get computers...whatever their hearts' desire.  They shared a list of upcoming wishes that they are hoping to grant, so I'll share some of those wishes with you in upcoming blog posts. I also have some stories of some incredible kids who have had their wishes granted to share. Your donations make a huge difference in the lives of these kids and their families.

Thank you! 


No comments: