Monday, June 18, 2007

Creating a Rainbow

I just spent a fabulous weekend in Iowa. The main reason for the trip was to attend my cousin Greg's wedding, but my sister Linda and I managed to turn it in to a super fabulous crafty weekend. The knitting obsession has hit a new high, and has the possibility to increase my yarn stash exponentially. Now, on top of The Loopy Ewe addiction and the recent spinning/fiber obsession, Linda and I have begun our quest to become world famous yarn dyers. And I think we made a good start.

We used food coloring in Crockpots...


We used Kool-Aid in Ziploc bags sitting in the sun...


And we tried a few other techniques...


And for our first attempt, we created some really cool yarn.


The biggest lesson we learned is that when you think you've used enough dye, use more. The dye doesn't spread out as much as you would think, so you end up with a lot of white. BUT, once it's reskeined, it looks beautiful. I think our futures as world famous yarn dyers is bright.





1 comment:

Linda said...

Is that really the stuff we dyed? It looks beautiful!

We must do that again, soon.

Thanks again for a great weekend.