Tuesday, July 6, 2010

That's What Friends Are For

I think it's pretty obvious that I love yarn and fiber and knitting and spinning and weaving. But something I have neglected to write as much about is one of the things I love the most about my hobby...the awesome people I've met who love yarn and fiber and knitting and spinning and weaving as much as I do. It has been incredible to me how many people from all over the world I have met and am now lucky enough to call my friends because of my hobby.

I started this crazy fundraising effort for the Make A Wish Foundation a couple of weeks ago and I have been overwhelmed (but not surprised) by the generosity of all of my friends. Something I really didn't expect was the offers to help entice others to give. The Knit Girllls, Laura and Leslie have mentioned my giveaway on their fantastic podcast (if you haven't checked them out - go now... this post will still be here when you get back) and I've had several generous offers of additions to the prize pool. I don't have photos of everything yet, but I'm so excited I have to share.

1. A hand sewn bag from Sharon, who I met at The Loopy Ewe Spring Fling. No photo yet, but I've seen some of the bags she's made and they are fantastic!

2. Hand-dyed sock yarn by Laura of the The Knit Girllls - again, no photo yet, but she's a talented dyer. You can see some of her yarn by clicking here) (Ravelry link)

3. A Piddleloop triangle project bag donated by Jen and her sister Wendy. I LOVE Piddleloop bags. They are so well made and they use gorgeous fabrics. I think the triangle bag is perfect for a small project and some lucky donor will get this fabulous bag! So cute!



4. Last, but not least is something that even the non-knitters should be excited about! Leslie of The Knit Girllls, has offered to donate one pair of handknit socks made specifically for the winner.  Choice of sock yarn (see the photos to follow. Since this is such a huge prize (for the non-knitters, knitting socks is not a quick endeavor) you will be entered in this drawing with a $25 minimum donation. Every $5 past $25 will get you additional entries in this drawing. Leslie will knit the socks according to your specifications...size, plain foot, plain or patterned cuff, etc.  These socks will be mailed priority to winner's home no later than 30 days after the drawing.

If you have never had the pleasure to wear handknit socks, you don't know what you are missing. This is your chance to have socks custom made to fit your feet in your choice of gorgeous yarn! Anyone out there with really big feet? Make a donation and let's try to give Leslie a challenge! Here are a couple of the yarn options. I'm working on a separate page for the fundraiser and will post all of the options there.

Perfect Day Yarns Free Verse Sock Yarn


Numma Numma Baby Boo


Thank you so much ladies for helping make my fundraiser a success! I hope this will help even more kids have their dreams come true.

And don't forget the handspun yarn I posted about in an earlier post!

Are you ready to donate? As a reminder, for all prizes except the handknit socks, you'll receive one entry in the drawing for every $5 you donate (i.e. make a $10 donation and you'll receive 2 entries). For the handknit socks, if you donate $25, you'll receive one entry for the socks an additional entry for every $5 over $25 (i.e make a $35 entry and you'll receive 3 entries for the socks).

To donate, click here. Select Denver, then Team Cupcake Mafia and Lynn Zimmerman.

Thanks again for your support!

No comments: